Alan Watts- Mythology of Hinduism #3
I had to listen to Mr. Watts a few times. At first I was just completely confused and thought,"What is he talking about?!" Then after awhile I began to understand the connections and symbols he used to differentiate between the different religions, and how they connected and pertained to Hinduism. After listening, it really made me more confused, but in a way I could make sense of it (if that makes sense). He explains that everything is an illusion. When he used the example of the play, it really made sense. We, ourselves, get caught up in everyday life, in stuff and situations that are just distracting and are irrelevant to anything, or a purpose. We get sucked in just like an audience of play does. They feel like they are there, in that situation. It seems like he is saying that God is the play maker, and we are the audience, yet we are the characters in the play. It's all so confusing, yet makes sense. Obviously I have not the slighest clue of exactly what Hinduism is, but to what I am hearing and learning, Hinduism seems it is what you make of it. Like you develop your own religion, but you still have guidelines. Maybe I'm completely wrong and am completely missing the point, but I, nor anyone else, will ever know unless we become a true Hindu.

2 Comments:
Wow! Nice post. I agree, many students who did listen to the podcast a few times had a better chance of understanding the concepts. I think you did this, and it probably helped.
You wrote:
"After listening, it really made me more confused, but in a way I could make sense of it (if that makes sense)."
It totally makes sense, and I know exactly what you mean. Its very difficult to drink in all these ideas and concepts. Unlike many of your classmates, you seemed to be able to take these on and process them. Some students weren't able to do this, and shut down, so I'm proud of you.
"It's all so confusing, yet makes sense." I'd say your quote pretty much sums up Hinduism to some degree. Well done Sam.
Mr. Farrell
BTW where is your post commenting on two other classmate's blog posts? That was part of the assignment.
Mr. Farrell
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home